Saturday, April 17, 2010

Roadside kitchen

Our kitchen is housed in the passenger side of the tradesman trailer attached to the pod. It's relatively well organised; however, Pod boy has big plans for an external pantry, more shelves and drawers. I'll explain more about the actual details of the kitchen at a later date, it's hard from 2,404 km away. As I wrote yesterday the most exciting part of the kitchen is the new fridge, which I have yet to see in reality.

Yesterday Pod boy bought a mini-Weber (open coal-fired BBQ). He cooked lamb on it last night and raved over it, so he's having the same again for lunch today.

Pod boy doesn't mind repetitive food, he once ate mee goreng noodles everyday at lunch for "an easy 6 months". Then his head exploded and he went to the shop and bought a frypan, a chopping board and a knife, he already had a small BBQ that he used to make coffee each morning so he was set for cooking lunch each day. Pod boy is a carpenter, so his usual day consisted of getting up, leaving home, driving to the job site, setting up the BBQ to brew a strong black coffee before starting his daily work. When he realised that cooking lunch on the BBQ was so easy he started to realise that living in the van was a possibility. It definitely helped that at this time he was a vegan so he was only really cooking up veges; however, when I came into his life he ventured into the world of meat again. This is funny to me because I have never been a big meat eater so I was originally stoked to have a non meat eating boyfriend...now I'm stoked to have Pod boy in any shape or form so if he wants to eat paper I'm down with that too.

Lamb on the coals



Marinade: lemon juice, soy sauce, rosemary, good olive oil, Tabasco and garlic. (Leave for at least 1 hour).

Cook over coals until meat is completely cooked. Pod boy doesn't like any hint of blood in his meat (a hang over from his vegan days), if I were there I would require my meat to be a lot less cooked than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment